Friday, February 29, 2008

If you didn't catch the Oscars...


It's been almost a week since the Oscars, and most coverage has been dedicated to who wore what and who got snubbed from the presentations.

I personally am not interested in the specific fashions, unless someone is wearing a dress made out of a swan, but I enjoyed the show itself and found some of the coverage interesting.

John Stewart, arguably one of the more influential members of the media, however sarcastic, was entertaining in his second year hosting. His opening segment was full of political slights. He went after Hillary Clinton with a husband joke, John McCain with age and Iraq jokes and Barack Obama for his name being similar to a terrorist and a dictator.

As for the awards, there were some surprises as Tilda Swinton and Marion Cotillard won awards for supporting actress and lead actress, respectively, and some fulfilled expectations as Daniel Day-Lewis was named Best Actor.

The most interesting coverage of the Oscars was the up-to-the-minute style. Wesley Morris kept us in the loop on the Boston Globe's Movie Nation blog, which he updated about every 15 minutes, if not more often, from 9:09 p.m. to 11:44 p.m.

It was full of awards updates, but also interesting observations and details about the show that someone who missed it would appreciate. His observations were brutally honest and often quite entertaining. Here is what he had to say about one of three Enchanted original songs that were performed, "Oh my God, this "Enchanted" number is like being at somebody-I-can't-stand's wedding reception. I don't want to sleep with anyone in the bridal party, and the bar just closed. I want to go home, but my ride is getting some bridesmaid's phone number. Arrgh."

This is certainly not Oscar coverage as we know it, but with "an all-time low of 32 million viewers," according to the Globe's Ty Burr, this may have been the best way to take in the show.


1 comment:

JRTR said...

I know I was reading the Movie Nation blog as well as Ew.com's up-to-the-minute postings, while watching the ceremonies with a couple of friends. I agree that it enhanced my experience while watching, but towards the end of the ceremony I got frustrated by how infrequent and slow it was taking the Movie Nation blog to post. Despite the times on the blog postings, the posts themselves didn't appear until 10 to 15 minutes later. It was probably because the Boston.com server was running slow or something, but I eventually shut my laptop screen and just watched the end of the ceremony the old-fashioned way.