Monday, March 17, 2008

Expensive Pizza?

In a recent BostonNow article, I read that the price of pizza is on the rise in Boston. Apparently all bread products are becoming more expensive because wheat-producers, like Australia, are experiencing poor growing seasons that can keep up with the demand.

Pizza is not something that I feel prepared to add to my list of things that I can't afford, so just in case I've been filling up, even eating three slices at once as you can see in this not-so-good quality cell phone video, before pizza becomes more of a delicacy than my go-to efficient and cheap dinner.



If flour prices aren't helped by the U.S. winter harvest in June, more than just cheap slices could be at risk. Restaurants could be forced to do away with free bread before meals. I know I'm not the only one who sometimes enjoys the bread appetizer more than the main course, so this could be another disappointing trend in Boston food.

While most people can probably afford to pay an extra 10 cents for a slice of pizza and lay off the free bread, this story seems to have more broad implications of global warming and economic recession. It seems every day it is reported that the price of some good is on the rise or at an all-time high and I'm not sure how long consumers can handle it, especially if the environment and food become the casualties.

No comments: